Call for Papers - The Birth of Chaplin’s Little Tramp: A 100th Anniversary Celebration
**JUNE 26, 27 & 28, 2014 - CINETECA DI BOLOGNA, ITALY**
**STATEMENT OF INTENT**
This 100th anniversary celebration of Charlie Chaplin’s iconic persona, the Little Tramp, or as he himself named him, the Little Fellow, will be an event geared towards the public first and film scholars and aficionados second and third. We wish to invite abstracts/proposals from speakers who can accommodate this audience effectively, i.e., potential speakers should suggest topics dealing with historical or humanities-related foci, rather than theoretical or academic. The best proposals will discuss the Little Tramp persona in some manner.
The event will be held in the beautiful northern Italian city of Bologna, with one day of the celebration to coincide with the beginning of the world-renowned Il Cinema Ritrovato festival (June 28-July 5, 2014).
**PROVISIONAL KEYNOTE AND/OR FEATURED SPEAKERS (OTHERS TBA):**
- David Robinson, Film Critic and author of Chaplin: His Life and Art
- Kevin Brownlow, film historian and director of The Unknown Chaplin
- Kate Guyonvarch, Director of Roy Export S.A.S. /Association Chaplin office, Paris
- Cecilia Cenciarelli, Archivist and Head of The Chaplin Project, Cineteca di Bologna, Italy
- Lisa Stein Haven, Associate Professor of English and author of Syd Chaplin: A Biography
The following topics are meant to generate ideas for presentations, not limit creativity or exclude participation:
- The Little Tramp’s Music Hall origins
- Chaplin at Keystone: The Process of Creating a Character
- The Little Tramp’s Final Appearance: The Great Dictator, Monsieur Verdoux, or Limelight?
- The Chaplin Imitator Phenomenon (Feel free to discuss a circumscribed time period for this topic)
- The Little Tramp in Contemporary Film Criticism
- Audience Reception: The Little Tramp
- Consequences of A Woman of Paris: Chaplin’s Film Endeavor without the Tramp
All are welcome to submit proposals for consideration.
Please send a 500-word abstract, a short bio and your contact information by **June 30th, 2013** to Kate Guyonvarch (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please place **Birth of the Tramp event** in your subject line.