Chaplin’s World by Grévin announces the site’s inauguration on 16 April 2016, the 127th anniversary of Charlie Chaplin’s birth, opening to the public on 17 April 2016 at 10:00 am. Situated in Corsier-sur-Vevey, where Chaplin and his family resided for the last twenty-five years of his life, Chaplin’s World will provide visitors with a timeless and immersive form of entertainment featuring the life and works of one of the 20th century’s greatest artists.
Humanism and laughter. Meet the man and the artist.
Charlie Chaplin was already an international star when he decided to break out of the short-film format and make his first full-length feature. The Kid doesn’t merely show Chaplin at a turning point, when he proved that he was a serious film director—it remains an expressive masterwork of silent cinema. In it, he stars as his lovable Tramp character, this time raising an orphan (a remarkable young Jackie Coogan) he has rescued from the streets. Chaplin and Coogan make a miraculous pair in this nimble marriage of sentiment and slapstick, a film that is, as its opening title card states, “a picture with a smile—and perhaps, a tear.”
- New 4K digital restoration of Charlie Chaplin’s 1972 rerelease version of the film, featuring an original score by Chaplin, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New audio commentary featuring Chaplin historian Charles Maland
- Jackie Coogan: The First Child Star, a new video essay by Chaplin historian Lisa Haven
- A Study in Undercranking, a new program featuring silent-film specialist Ben Model
- Interviews with Coogan and actor Lita Grey Chaplin
- Excerpted audio interviews with cinematographer Rollie Totheroh and film distributor Mo Rothman
- Deleted scenes and titles from the original 1921 version of The Kid
- “Charlie” on the Ocean, a 1921 newsreel documenting Chaplin’s first return trip to Europe
- Footage of Chaplin conducting his score for The Kid
- Nice and Friendly, a 1922 silent short featuring Chaplin and Coogan, presented with a new score by composer Timothy Brock
- PLUS: An essay by film scholar Tom Gunning
Learn more about Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton in a new French documentary called Chaplin/Keaton, le clochard milliardaire et le funambule déchu. The documentary airs on Thursday, February 4th at 10:15 pm on French channel France 5.
1. Unique Fine Art Prints & Posters from the Chaplin Archives
Now available for the first time ever: Beautiful photos from the Chaplin archives available for print on demand! Available on our image bank.
2. Fun New T-shirts, Mugs, Aprons & More!
NEW Chaplin items available on Spreadshirt! Click here for our US $ shop Click here for our French shop in euros ( € )
3. 2016 Calendars
Officially licensed 2016 Charlie Chaplin calendars by Aquarupella are available now on Renaud-Bray’s website.
4. Footlights + The World of Limelight
Even before existing as a screenplay, Limelight was conceived by Chaplin as a 34,000-word novella: after remaining virtually unknown for more than sixty years after its completion Footlights is now published by Cineteca di Bologna in this volume for the very first time.
David Robinson, Chaplin’s most eminent biographer, brilliantly traces the long yet logical evolution of the story.
The English language edition is available here.
The Brazilian edition is available here.
The French edition is available here.
The Italian edition is available here.
The German edition is available here .
5. The Charlie Chaplin Archives
The fabulous new XXL book from Taschen. Available worldwide on Taschen’s website.
Also available on Amazon (English edition links in USD, GBP and EUR):
6. Tickets to a Live Orchestral Screening
Experience the magic of a Chaplin film with live symphony orchestra. Our list of shows around the world is updated regularly.
7. The Films (Of Course!!)
DVDs and Blu-rays of beautifully restored Chaplin films.
New Chaplin DVD / Blu-ray box sets from Curzon Artificial Eye are out now in the UK! Get yours today!